As a sales professional, you’ve got a hard job — you deal with rejection daily. Powering through call after call, demo after demo, email after email… and no, no, no. Some days it can feel like all you can do to stop yourself from banging your head against the wall or hitting “snooze” ten or twenty times.
Sometimes it can be nice to know that you’re not alone in your thoughts – you’re not. We hear you.
So we put together this list of quotes from popular Netflix shows that we feel salespeople can relate to at one point or another. Not all the shows are sales related, but every one of them is popular for a reason.
Take a 5-minute break from the grind and enjoy.
10 Netflix Shows Quotes Salespeople Can Relate to
1. “Every No is a Yes in disguise”
~Lydia Riera, One Day at a Time
From all the prospects you speak with, the proposals you craft, the demos you present – you want every single one of your client to say “yes, I’d love to buy [X] from you”. You see the value of the product you’re selling (hopefully), and they should too.
But things don’t work that way 100% of the time. You’ll probably hear the word ‘No’ more often than you will hear ‘Yes’. But a good salesperson knows how to turn a solid No into a Yes. In fact, they see it as a challenge and an opportunity to grow. That’s what separates a performer from the rest of the pack. Of course, it would be nice to hear a simple, straightforward Yes after every sales pitch or demo. But where’s the fun in that?
2. “Confidence is good. Facts on your side, better. Know what you’re walking into.”
~Chuck McGill, Better Call Saul
To be successful as a salesperson, you need to be confident. But having facts about the prospect on your side is definitely better. You need to be prepared. I’m sure you’ve been there – or seen others – going into a call without having done the necessary groundwork. Confidence can take you a good distance – but only so far.
Doing your homework ahead of time takes you the rest of the way.
3. “I’ll be the Number Two guy here in Scranton in six weeks. How? Name repetition, personality mirroring, and never breaking off a handshake. I’m always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs.”
~Andy Bernard, The Office
There’s no way a list of quotes for salespeople can be complete without an Office reference. As for the one we chose – everyone, regardless of industry, has met this person. He or she comes in, making big talk about how they’ll be “top dog” within X-timeframe, and Y is how they’ll do it. But have you ever seen it actually happen?
It’s pretty rare.
4. “I’ve always loathed the necessity of sleep. Like death, it puts even the most powerful men on their backs.”
~Frank Underwood, House of Cards
This one can apply a few ways:
- You love your job, you love selling, you’re good at it, and you’re chasing the “top salesperson” title. In this case, having to sleep can be an irritating necessity getting in your way – but a necessity nonetheless.
- You’ve got difficult quotas, and it doesn’t seem like there are enough hours in the day. If only you just didn’t need sleep….
5. “Every day gets a little easier. But you have to do it every day. That’s the hard part.”
~Runner, BoJack Horseman
Whether you’re completely new to sales, or new to a different industry, or were promoted into a role that feels a little big for you – every salesperson is here at some point, where your first days you feel as if you’re floundering more than swimming.
But then you go home for the night, or the weekend, and you come back the next day and you go again. And each day it gets a little better – as long as you keep showing up.
6. “Laura! Clear out my schedule! I have to push a boulder up a hill and then have it roll over me time and again with no regard for my well-being!”
~Princess Carolyn, BoJack Horseman
If you’ve ever had a seemingly-sadistic boss hammering you with heavy quotas… it can feel like this. “Here we go again….”
7. “Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.”
~Jim Hopper, Stranger Things
Those 8:15 team meetings? Yeah, no. Coffee first. And contemplation? Well, that’s up to you. Cat memes with coffee aren’t a bad way to start the day.
Let’s push that meeting back to 9, shall we?
8. “Principles aren’t principles when you pick and choose when you’re gonna follow them.”
~Chidi Anagonye, The Good Place
As a salesperson, every time you go on a call, you have a choice: Be a good salesperson and match the prospect to the right product; or, fulfill every stereotype of the pushy, sleazy salesman just trying to make a buck.
When you’ve got quotas to fill, it can certainly be tempting – and you wouldn’t be the first (or last) to give in every once in a while. But, principles are principles – unless you pick and choose when and where to apply them.
9. “Nothing in this world is easy, except pissing in the shower.”
~Ruth Brenner, Russian Doll
No one is going to argue that sales isn’t stressful – and no one knows it better than sales pros themselves. The most successful salespeople can handle the level of stress it entails to rise to the top.
And if they can’t? If they make it high enough, they’ll soon collapse inward like a dying star under the pressure.
10. “As ever, Watson, you see but do not observe. To you, the world remains an impenetrable mystery, whereas, to me, it is an open book. Hard logic versus romantic whimsy – that is your choice.”
~Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock (BBC)
To finish things out – when you’ve got a new rep tagging along and you close a sale cleanly and with precision. They don’t “see” and hear what you do, nor know the prep you put in ahead of time. To them, your dexterity in handling the prospect is an “impenetrable mystery.” But you? You know how you did it. Pass it on.
These were some Netflix quotes we thought salespeople can relate to. So pick up your favorite line! Can you think of more?
Hiring vetted sales talent? Connect here.